I have extensive commercial experience of client facing strategic user experience work, liaising between all project disciplines to create innovative solutions that deliver real commercial returns for clients. Over the last 18 years I have designed experiences for everything from complex, data driven web and desktop applications to campaign microsites. I have led user experience teams and been instrumental in establishing user centred design processes in a number of blue chip companies.I am bilingual in both written and spoken English and German and have a working knowledge of French.
September 2010 – Present, Freelance User Experience Architect London
What If (for Williams Lea Tag), November 2018 – April 2019
- Enterprise wide digital transformation and service design across their creative production and sourcing businesses. Led interviews with account teams in EMEA, APAC and Americas to map their entire end to end process. Presented proposed process improvements to Global CEO, regional CEOs and entire leadership team. Led UX design of key interactions of a new software platform based on the revised process.
Equal Experts (for ITV), June 2018 – July 2018
- Short, intense discovery project for ITV, to improve their freelancer contracting, onboarding and IT provisioning process. Conducting user interviews, contextual enquiry, mapping existing and improved processes, project planning. Working in close collaboration with business analyst, delivery lead and technical architect as well as ITV project stakeholders and management.
BNP Paribas, July 2017 – January 2018
- Redesign of the bank’s research portal to comply with new MiFID II regulations. Integrating existing systems with a third party research platform provider (Singletrack). Working in close collaboration with analysts, editors, sales, marketing and internal and vendor developers and UX to create a complex, highly regulated research and analysis publishing and distribution system.
Equal Experts (for Santander and Argus Analytics), January 2017 – June 2017
- Working in partnership with What If Innovation on a project with Santander to disrupt the mortgage market. Production of Axure prototypes, moderation of user testing sessions, AB testing of proposition websites.
- Working in partnership with What If Innovation on a project with Argus Analytics to transform their Argus Software product suite into a web-based platform. Production and user testing of prototype interaction and user journey patterns with Axure and Lookback.
Reason (for Cofco Agri), June 2016 – December 2016
- Lead User Experience Designer on a collaboration between Reason and Adaptive to design and build an Agricultural Commodities Trading Platform for Cofco Agri.
- Led highly collaborative Agile design of Trade Capture, Voyages, Transfers, Deliveries, Invoicing and Fees functions.
Sky, February 2014 – February 2015, April 2015 – July 2015, October 2015 – April 2016
- User Experience Designer for the redesign of the My Sky profile and settings areas of the sky.com site, resulting in a 10 point NPS increase.
- Design of the online product cancellations and downgrades area. A first for Sky, which outperforms live chat and voice on offer attachment and customer retention.
- User Experience Designer for Shop, including in-page upgrade journeys resulting in a 50% increase in conversion for Sports and a 16.6% uplift for Movies.
- UX design for a journey to allow previous Sky customers to re-activate their accounts.
Morgan Stanley, October 2012 – January 2014
- User Experience Architect for a system supporting enterprise wide data centre migrations.
- UX consulting for multi-device mobile login, password administration and cross-platform interface guidelines.
- Re-design of risk management tools for equities trading.
- Multiple short projects for the Matrix Single Dealer Platform, including events calendars, municipal bond metrics, FX recommendations and research applications and widgets.
RMA Consulting (for UBS Investment Bank), September 2011 – September 2012
- User Experience Architect for an integrated trading, research and CRM application. Defining application wide blotters and grids as well as FX and FI trading price grids and tickets.
Royal Bank of Scotland, Global Banking and Markets, September 2010 – June 2011
- Lead User Experience Architect for an integrated portal for sales staff. Building and user testing Axure prototypes, user requirements gathering and interviews, facilitation of design workshops. Part of a team defining and shaping the bank’s user experience discipline.
August 2009 – September 2010, Senior User Experience Consultant
EMC Consulting, London
T-Mobile – site refresh
- User experience design of their new site, resulting in a 20% increase in customer conversions.
Virgin Media – complete sales and care site redesign
- Led team of six User Experience Designers across three concurrent work streams.
- Organised and facilitated brainstorming, concepting and collaborative design workshops.
- Agile Scrum process handing off to traditional waterfall backend development.
April 2007 – August 2009, Senior User Experience Consultant
Ford of Europe – complete redesign for 21 European markets
- Wunderman’s largest project at the time.
- Led team of up to five User Experience Designers through full project lifecycle from requirements and early concepts to detailed functional specification and go-live.
- Collaborated with German Ford IT development team and European account teams.
Ford of Britain – localised extensions to the European site
- Led UX teams creating finance illustrators, calculators, emissions and tax calculators and a buyers guide.
Land Rover – complete worldwide site redesign
- prepared personas in close collaboration with planners and strategists.
- created UX concepts for the car configurator.
March 2005 – April 2007, Lead User Experience Architect
LBi, London (previously Framfab and Oyster Partners)
- Instrumental to several new client wins and strengthening existing client relationships.
- Successfully implemented eye tracking technology with other members of the user research team.
- Member of the internal accessibility working group, championing accessibility in the design process.
ABN AMRO Global Markets – incorporating 30 local intranets into a single new enterprise intranet
- Local country intranet content audits and implementation of a Microsoft Access based functional specification and system analysis tool.
- Conducted user research and requirements gathering sessions in Hong Kong, Netherlands, France, USA and UK, presented findings to stakeholders in over 30 countries with Netmeeting.
- Implemented and refined new bar code scanning card and document sorting techniques.
ABN AMRO Asset Management – Virtual Sales Office
- Created specification for an online Virtual Sales Office for Asset Management’s sales staff and relationship bankers.
- Led requirements gathering workshops with client stakeholders.
ABN AMRO LaSalle Bank, Chicago – Intranet platform migration strategy
- Planned migration strategy to a new intranet platform, evaluated associated content audits.
- Presented new platform features and characteristics to client stakeholders.
AOL UK – European portal redesign
- Created personas and a guiding design principles.
- Supervised user research project to test the guidelines in France, Germany and the UK, including creation of discussion guide scripts for guided exploration and eye tracking studies.
- Successfully employed new hexagon card sorting methods to interactively build new homepage concepts with user research participants.
Philip Morris International – Chesterfield Mix Moments Two interactive kiosk
- Created wireframes and worked closely with visual designers to create storyboard functional specification for animated elements.
Fidelity – homepage redesign, revised login process, interactive charting tool
- Led user research project to identify usability issues in the above online processes.
- Developed user research discussion guides for eye tracking and guided exploration research.
- Moderated guided exploration user testing and conducted eye tracking studies.
Royal Bank of Scotland – redesign of internal CRM system
- Conducted user focus groups, interviews and led the entire requirements gathering phase.
- Created wireframes, sitemaps and functional specifications for the new AJAX driven interface.
- Developed user research discussion guides for eye tracking and guided exploration user testing.
Russell Reynolds Associates – redesign of CRM system
- Brought in to resuscitate the user experience project, after previous attempts at designing the guided navigation for this CRM system had failed.
- Successfully overcame difficult client-side politics to propose a new solution.
- Conducted a week of client workshops to test and modify the new solution.
February 2003 – March 2005, Head of Information Architecture
Interesource New Media Ltd., London
Created and refined new information architecture discipline in the company and made it an essential part of Interesource’s business strategy. Integral member of pitch teams and responsible for several new client wins worth in excess of 150k. Projects included a WCAG AAA compliant new site for the Royal National Institute for Deaf People, the introduction of a user centred design methodology to Lloyd’s of London’s Kinnect Platform, a brand new site for Tune Tribe and new web sites for the Terrence Higgins Trust and the London Stock Exchange.
July 2000 – September 2002, Senior Information Architect
Quidnunc Ltd., London
Rapid promotion from Implementation Designer (front end coder) to Senior Information Architect, defined and evolved Quidnunc’s fledgling information architecture discipline.
1998 – 1999, Multimedia Designer
Multimedia Marketing, Slough
Multimedia content creation, 3D modelling, CDROM authoring, training of placement students.
1993 – 1998, Freelance Designer
Morgan Motor Company, Billco, Deepend Ltd., Harkess Ord, Design Works, A.T.O.M. Modelmakers
1988 – 1992, Placement Student
- Summer 1991 & 1992, Digital Equipment Corporation, Boston, USA
- Summer 1988 & 1990, BP Research, Sunbury, UK
- Summer 1989, BMW AG, Munich, Germany
- 1989 – 1993, BSc (Hons) Industrial Design, Brunel University, Egham
- 1987 – 1989, International Baccalaureate, American Community School, Cobham
- 1982 – 1987, Mittlere Reife (O-Level), Deutsche Schule London (German School), Richmond