I have extensive commercial experience of client facing strategic user experience work, liaising between all project disciplines to create innovative solutions that deliver real commercial returns for clients. Over the last 20 years I have designed experiences for everything from complex, data driven web and desktop applications to campaign microsites. I have led user experience teams and been instrumental in establishing user centered design processes in a number of blue chip companies. I am bilingual in both written and spoken English and German and have a working knowledge of French.
September 2010 – Present, Freelance User Experience Architect London
The UX Agency (for Dentsu Aegis Network), May 2020 – Present
- Senior UX Designer on two streams of an enterprise wide media ecosystem. Designed a visual audience builder and crosstab tool for planners to create and analyse complex audiences for media targeting and digital channel activation. Designed a new portal to allow clients to brief campaigns and collaborate on audiences, media plans and reporting. Liaised between POs, on and offshore development teams and other ecosystem project teams.
John Lewis Partnership, August 2019 – March 2020
Red Badger (for Direct Wines), June 2019 – August 2019
- Lead UX Designer on the redesign of key mobile purchase journeys for Laithwaite’s Wine. Conducted customer and stakeholder interviews, facilitated client ideation sessions, designed and tested insights and analytics driven customer experience solutions for product description and list pages, basket and checkout journeys.
What If (for Williams Lea Tag), November 2018 – April 2019
- Lead UX Designer for an enterprise wide digital transformation and service design project across WLT’s creative production and sourcing businesses. Led interviews with account teams in EMEA, APAC and Americas to map the end to end processes. Presented proposed process improvements to Global CEO, regional CEOs and leadership team. Led UX design of key interactions for a new software platform based on the revised process.
Equal Experts (for ITV), June 2018 – July 2018
- Lead UX Designer on a discovery project for ITV to improve their freelancer onboarding and IT provisioning process. Conducted user interviews and contextual enquiry. Created new processes in close collaboration with BA, DL, technical architects and ITV stakeholders and management.
BNP Paribas, July 2017 – January 2018
- Lead UX Designer on the redesign of the bank’s research portal to comply with new MiFID II regulations. Integrated existing systems with a third party research platform provider (Singletrack). Worked in close collaboration with analysts, editors, sales, marketing and internal and vendor developers and UX to create a complex, highly regulated financial research publishing and distribution system.
Equal Experts (for Santander and Argus Analytics), January 2017 – June 2017
- Lead UX Designer on a project for Santander to disrupt the mortgage market. Produced Axure prototypes, moderated user testing sessions, conducted AB testing of proposition websites.
- Senior UX Designer on a project with Argus Analytics to transform their desktop property management software into a web platform. Produced Axure prototypes and journeys and tested them using Lookback.
Reason (for Cofco Agri), June 2016 – December 2016
- Lead UX Designer on the design and build of an agricultural commodities trading platform for Cofco Agri. Led agile design of trade capture, voyages, transfers, deliveries, invoicing and fees functions.
Sky, February 2014 – February 2015, April 2015 – July 2015, October 2015 – April 2016
- Senior UX Designer on the redesign of the My Sky profile and settings areas of the sky.com site, resulting in a 10 point NPS increase.
- Senior UX Designer on the online product cancellations and downgrades area of sky.com. A first for Sky, which outperformed live chat and voice on offer attachment and customer retention.
- Senior UX Designer for Shop, including in-page upgrade journeys resulting in a 50% increase in conversion for Sports and a 16.6% uplift for Movies.
Morgan Stanley, October 2012 – January 2014
- User Experience Architect for a system supporting enterprise-wide data centre migrations. Created multi-device mobile login, password admin and cross-OS interface guidelines.Re-designed risk management tools for equities trading for the Matrix Single Dealer Platform
RMA Consulting (for UBS Investment Bank), September 2011 – September 2012
- User Experience Architect for the Neo Single Dealer Platform. Defined application wide blotters and grids as well as FX and FI trading price grids and tickets.
Royal Bank of Scotland, Global Banking and Markets, September 2010 – June 2011
- Lead User Experience Architect for an integrated portal for sales staff. Built and user tested Axure prototypes, gathered user requirements, conducted user interviews and facilitated design workshops.
August 2009 – September 2010, Senior User Experience Consultant
EMC Consulting, London
T-Mobile – site refresh
- User experience design of their new site, resulting in a 20% increase in customer conversions.
Virgin Media – complete sales and care site redesign
- Led team of six User Experience Designers across three concurrent Agile Scrum work streams. Organised and facilitated brainstorming, concepting and collaborative design workshops.
April 2007 – August 2009, Senior User Experience Consultant
Ford of Europe – complete redesign for 21 European markets
- Led team of five User Experience Designers through full project lifecycle from requirements and early concepts to creation of detailed functional specification and go-live. Collaborated with German Ford IT development team and European account teams. Led UX teams for finance illustrators, emissions and tax calculators and buyers’ guides.
March 2005 – April 2007, Lead User Experience Architect
LBi, London (previously Framfab and Oyster Partners)
ABN AMRO Global Markets – incorporating 30 local intranets into a single new enterprise intranet
- Created local country intranet content audits and implemented a Microsoft Access based functional specification and system analysis tool. Conducted user research and requirements gathering sessions in Hong Kong, Netherlands, France, USA and UK. Remotely presented findings to stakeholders in over 30 countries. Implemented and refined new bar code scanning card sorting techniques.
ABN AMRO Asset Management – Virtual Sales Office
- Created the specification for an online Virtual Sales Office for asset management sales staff and relationship bankers after leading requirements gathering workshops with client stakeholders.
ABN AMRO LaSalle Bank, Chicago – Intranet platform migration strategy
- Planned migration strategy to a new intranet platform, evaluated associated content audits.
Royal Bank of Scotland – redesign of internal CRM system
- Facilitated focus groups, interviews and led the entire requirements gathering phase.
Russell Reynolds Associates – redesign of CRM system
- Overcame difficult client-side politics to resuscitate a guided navigation design project for a CRM system.
February 2003 – March 2005, Head of Information Architecture
Interesource New Media Ltd., London
Created and refined new information architecture discipline. Integral member of pitch teams responsible for new client wins. Projects included a WCAG AAA compliant new site for the Royal National Institute for Deaf People and the introduction of a user centered design methodology to Lloyd’s of London’s Kinnect Platform.
July 2000 – September 2002, Senior Information Architect
Quidnunc Ltd., London
1993 – 1999, Freelance Designer
Morgan Motor Company, Billco, Deepend Ltd., Harkess Ord, Design Works, A.T.O.M. Modelmakers, Multimedia Marketing
1988 – 1992, Placement Student
- Summer 1991 & 1992, Digital Equipment Corporation, Boston, USA
- Summer 1988 & 1990, BP Research, Sunbury, UK
- Summer 1989, BMW AG, Munich, Germany
- 1989 – 1993, BSc (Hons) Industrial Design, Brunel University, Egham
- 1987 – 1989, International Baccalaureate, American Community School, Cobham
- 1982 – 1987, Mittlere Reife (O-Level), Deutsche Schule London (German School), Richmond